"I had not informed my conscience neither suddenly nor slightly,
but by long leisure and diligent search". (St. Thomas More)

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Traditional Feast Day for St. Thomas More (July 9)


Today, July 9.  Is the traditional feast day (old calendar) for the martyr, St. Thomas More (beheaded July 6, 1535), as well as the martyr-bishop, St. John Fisher.

For the traditional Latin Mass propers for this day, please see my 2015 post at this link.

Unfortunately, when I first published this post I confused the Votive Mass for St. Thomas More with the feast day Mass.  As of 3 July 2015, I have corrected this.  For the Votive Mass for St. Thomas More, please see another of my 2015 posts at this link.

Also, the Benedictine office (in Latin) for the feast of Sts. Thomas More and John Fisher is posted here.

And, the entry in the old Lives of the Saints for Thomas More, can be found at EWTN here.

Image:   Historical portrait of Sts. Thomas More & John Fisher.  English school. From Wikimedia Commons.  In the public domain.

3 comments:

  1. Please can you contact me re mullberry tree in St Thomas More’s garden
    00447973787522

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Kelly, Thank you for reading this blog. For privacy reasons, I do not do telephonic replies. Any information I have regarding the mulberry tree can be found in the biographies or my post on Lady Ruth Norrington Reilly, but if you have a question you want to post here I will try to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for biographies, the Peter Ackroyd work is particularly helpful regarding the mulberry tree (explains the connection to the Latin Morus).

    ReplyDelete