"I had not informed my conscience neither suddenly nor slightly,
but by long leisure and diligent search". (St. Thomas More)

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Bolt's Rendition of More's Post-Conviction Speech

Here, in honor of the traditional feast day for St. Thomas More (July 9) is Robert Bolt's rendition -- in A Man for All Seasons -- of the Saint's post-conviction speech:

"Norfolk (leaping to his feet; all rise save More)   Prisoner at the bar, you have been found guilty of High Treason.  The sentence of the Court --

"More My lord!

Norfolk breaks off.  More has a sly smile.  From this point to end of play his manner is of one who has fulfilled all his obligations and will now consult no interests but his own.

My lord, when I was practicing the law, the manner was to ask the prisoner before pronouncing sentence, if he had anything to say.

Norfolk (flummoxed)   Have you anything to say?

More  Yes. (He rises:  all others sit.)  To avoid this I have taken every path my winding wits would find.   Now that the court has determined to condemn me, God knoweth how, I will discharge my mind . . . concerning my indictment and the King's title..  The indictment is grounded in an Act of Parliament which is directly repugnant to the Law of God.  The King in Parliament cannot bestow the Supremacy of the Church because it is a Spiritual Supremacy!  And more to this the immunity of the Church is promised both in Magna Carta and the King's own Coronation Oath!

Cromwell Now we plainly see that you are malicious!

More Not so, Mr. Secretary!  (He pauses, and launches, very quietly, ruminatively, into his final stock-taking.)  I am the King's true subject, and pray for him and all the realm . . . I do none harm, I say none harm, I think none harm.  And if this be not enough to keep a man alive, in good faith I long not to live. . . . I have, since I came into prison, been several times in such a case that I thought to die within the hour, and I thank Our Lord I was never sorry for it, but rather sorry when it passed.  And therefore, my poor body is at the King's pleasure.  Would God my death might do him some good. . . . (With a great flash of scorn and anger.) Neverthelsss, it is not for the Supremacy that you have sought my blood -- but because I would not bend to the marriage.!"

Source of text:   A Man for All Seasons, copyright Robert Bolt 1960, unpaginated Kindle edition, published in 1995 by Bloomsbury Methuen Drama (www.bloomsbury.com). Fair use claimed for posting this short excerpt.


No comments:

Post a Comment